I was asked to join a book club a few years ago. It was a lovely gesture being asked to join a group of women who I barely knew. I’ve never been a massive reader, time always seems to be against me and it only seems when I’m on holiday lying on a beach that the time presents itself and I finally get the chance to read, and I always enjoy it. Still with my poor success rate, these women welcomed me warmly into their group.
Over the past few years being in this group there have been a lot of life changing moments, marriages (one was mine), a separation (that would be me), babies (including twins), and people have moved cities and countries. Book Club has always been a good excuse to catch up with friends and have a glass of wine while not a lot of discussion goes on about the book. There was never any pressure if you hadn’t read the book as the tally was being added up at the end of night and a score given of what we all thought of the book. It was a pretty relaxed club.
As you can guess my success rate towards reading the books has been pretty poor over the years. In fact it was non-existent last year as I didn’t have the energy to face any. I would have been lost in a gaze having to read the pages over and over again as my thoughts would wander away. So with a new kindle in hand, I have plenty of books to read and catch up on. If you’re looking for something new to read, here is the list of books selected over the years. I’ve only managed to complete 14 of them, pathetic I know, but thankfully I now have plenty of spare time ahead of me do try to redeem back some book club dignity.
- Room by Emma Donoghue. Score 6.
- Freedom by Jonathan Franzen. Score 6.5.
- One Day by David Nicholls. Score 8.
- The Help by Kathryn Stockett. Score 7.
- Sense Of An Ending by Julian Barnes. Score 6.5.
- The Other Hand also known as Little Bee by Chris Cleave. Score 6.
- Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger. Score 7.
- The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides. Score 6.
- The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. Score 8.
- Fifty Shades Of Grey by E.L James. Score 1.5 (It had to be done to see what all the fuss was about!)
- Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. Score 7.5.
- The Casual Vacancy by J.K Rowling. Score 4.5
- Lifesaving For Beginners by Ciara Geraghty. Score 6.5
- After The Party by Lisa Jewell. Score 7
- The Shadow Year by Hannah Richell. Score 8
- The Fields by Kevin Maher. Score 6.5
- East Of The Sun by Julia Gregson. Score 6.
- The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton. Score 7.5
- The Fault In Our Stars by John Green. Score 6.5.
- The Bright New Dawn by Louise Beker. Score 1
- Love Nina by Nina Stibbe. Score 7
- The House Of Spirits by Isabel Allende.
- The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion – Highly Recommended
- The Husband’s Secret by Liane Moriarty – Highly Recommended